John DePauw from Washington County, Charles Beggs of Franklin County, and W.H.
Eades of Jennings County, were appointed to select a site for the new county
seat by an act of the General Assembly on January 7, 1818. The first three Commissioners
with a daily earning of three dollars settled on a hundred acre tract donated
by John Paul of Madison. This hundred acre tract is known today as Jefferson
County. The county seat was named Versailles in honor of DePauw’s native
city in France and was laid out as a town of 186 lots by John Ritchie.
Ripley County, located in the southeastern part of Indiana, has 450 square
miles or 288,000 acres. It is 27 miles north to south and 19 miles east to west
with an elevation ranging from 600 feet to 100 feet above sea level. Laughery
Creek, named for Colonel Archibold Lochry who fought in the Revolutionary War,
flows through the county